cultural adventures, afternoon outings and unusual discoveries in London and Britain

Tuesday, 13 April 2010

Once Upon A Time In The West

Faced with a day to myself, I am often tempted to fill the time with what my Mum refers to as ‘pottering’; spots of cleaning, catching up with washing, making cups of tea. But when you are working, days off are so much more precious. Thus, with the sun shining and an A-Z in my bag, this afternoon I set off for the frontiers of West London.

My first stop was ‘125 Ledbury Presents’, a beautiful vintage studio on Ledbury Road which is more like a gallery than a shop. There are some truly amazing designer dresses and assistant, Jessica Hannan, was happy to talk to me about their oldest and most exciting pieces, a 1920s Lanvin frock and a Chanel Couture suit from the 1950s. http://www.vintageacademe.com/

After my fix of glamour, I made my way to Tom’s Deli on Westbourne Grove, a kitsch diner and organic shop with lots of sunny tables (weather permitting of course), great salads and other light meals. A big slice of banoffee pie was just what I needed and the friendly staff did not mind me sitting a while enjoying my surroundings. http://www.tomsdelilondon.co.uk/

Westbourne Grove is home to lots of lovely shops including Comptoir Des Cottoniers, Toast, and Whistles. For some unique bargains, though, head straight to the Oxfam shop which has well-selected shoes and clothes, some designer and vintage items, jewellery and handbags. http://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/content/secondhandstore/fashion/boutiques/default.html

Making my way along the Grove, I passed two young girls who had set up a cake stall outside their house – very enterprising! I stopped at ‘cinephilia west’, a bookshop, screen and cafe. The downstairs shop has a great selection of books and DVDs, there are sofas and chairs too. Cinephilia hold screenings of arthouse and indie films, which cost £5 to attend. http://www.cinephilia.co.uk/west/

No comments:

Post a Comment